Many fixed- and low-income people find it an increasingly difficult task to pay for the medications they need to stay healthy. In many cases, it’s a choice between medicine and other necessities, such as food and heat.
The post “Financial Help with Prescription Medications,” written on July 7, 2008, has received a thorough rewriting with important new information. Since it was originally written, I have found several very helpful online sites that give information and application help for low- or no-cost medication programs sponsored by the pharmaceutical companies.
The post gives the details that you need to help you or a person you know to find programs that will help pay for medications. The topics discussed are:
- Eligibility for prescription help
- Online assistance with prescription medications from the pharmaceutical companies
- Assistance with prescription medications from the pharmaceutical companies by telephone
- Medicare Rx extra help
- The State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)
- Samples from your doctor
- Reducing the cost: Mail-order and online medications
- Reducing the cost: Comparisons of pharmacy costs